Sunday, February 15, 2015

Drop Weight or Drop Dead: 100 Days to a Healthier Self

Drop Weight or Drop Dead: 100 Days to a Healthier Self

How to quit a habit in one week


  1. Say out loud what the habit is. (for me "the habit" is avoiding ice cream during an intensive diet re-do)
  2. Process the emotions that I feel while I am doing the habit. I have an issue with emotional eating so binging is a perpetual vice I'm attempting to manage. Is the habit calming? Is the habit a form of escape? 
  3. Write down how I physically feel during and after doing the habit. I had to admit that I was making myself physically sick. I felt uncomfortably full, I felt nauseated. I had no energy. 
  4. Tell someone close to me about the change in my life.
  5. Set specific time frames - one week, one day, one hour (if I can make it to the time I set I get to see I am capable of holding off of whatever the habit is)
  6. Write down the habit that I want to change. Write down how this will improve my life.
  7.  Write down the negative effects of the habit. Eating excess Haagen Dazs is a waste of money. My habit is rapidly harming my BMI. 
  8. Give myself a gift as I progress in eliminating my habit. Also get an app like SuperBetter that rewards users with positive feedback and community support. 
Bottom line: I want to come to peace with myself. I want to focus on the big picture. I want to avoid an all-or-nothing mentality. I want to judge myself less harshly and allow myself to start again if I fail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment